Easter
This weekend, birthday aside, was a learning experience.
First time MC(emcee?) on Stage
I think there is a huge difference between "i think you can do it" and "i can do it", because the latter requires experience, and the former is just someone's opinion/expectations of you. However, unable to squirm my way out of the arrow to do MC for Easter Celebrations, i roped in Trish in the last minute to help me "ra-ra" the crowd. I think i made a wise choice. Chemistry between the hosts should be the utmost consideration when choosing a partner, because little things like saying "hi, I'm James, (her) and hi i'm trish, (together) and we are your emcees for tonight" could prove to be impossible if coordination was lacking. But that aside, i think the fact that we both have chemistry offstage made it a lot easier on stage. I surprised even myself. Me, a person who has always shunned the spotlight like the plague, found it surprisingly non-painful to do what i did (Although i could have spoken a little bit louder says reliable feedback), I am pretty much proud of myself, for i guess I have conquered a little everest of my own, and I'm glad the audience responded so heartily to the games we were playing and the shout-outs (luckily) did not fall flat on my face.
End of an experience
Last Saturday was the last day of work for me as the Pilot-Run for the "Employability Skills System" trial run has ended. I thank William for getting me this lobang, because through this job, helping retrenched/not as educated persons find a suitable IT/Office Skills course for them is both fulfilling and insightful. Fulfilling cos I know it would be beneficial for them, Insightful because it revealed another facet of myself that I didn't know existed. Apparantly I have an EXTREMELY HIGH tolerance for difficult people. I guess thats the whole nature of customer service. Sometimes I wonder why these people are so difficult when we are helping them select time slots for (100% Sponsored, mind you) courses for their own benefit. Its not as if I'm getting any commission, but back to the main point, I have a high threshold, I don't seem to mind if i have to reassure a person ad nauseum, but it gets to me when I deal with long-winded people (they tell you grandmother stories of how happening their lives are and make it so difficult for you to choose course schedule for them, so why signup in the first place?) As devious/not-nice as it seems, I have learnt to "control" them (and move them along) or else I don't need to go home liao. Hmmm, negotiations skills? Haha. Anyway, I'm glad I had this opportunity. Boss said she'll hire me for other assignments next time, so I'm waiting. KILL! haha.
Takeover issues
I am going to ORD liao! Finally get to vacate this Vice-Prez post and start studying! Anyway Mike and me were like pants on fire when no one replied to the yahoogroups email to run for comm, and he made me write another, with the specific instruction "not to sound too desperate". Haha, I did, and guess what. We now can have democratic elections due to the overwhelming number of signups. Haha! (Well, I had to call some to ask, but thats fine yea) Can't wait to grill them in the interviews. Muhahaha
Footnotes
I need to finish the negotiations nonsense. Its tomorrow!
Signing off,
Agent Jared
Situational Extrovert Extrodinarre

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home