Forward
Today would not happen "but-for" the humdrum and monotony of legal study
While daydreaming (as per usual) while facing my notes, I sortof drew, on impulse, a timeline of my life, taking into account extraneous world happenings from Y2K to the present, just for the heck of it.
So alongside "ORD", "Law O-team", "ChiangMai Mission Trip", "NTUC Customer Service Stint" inter alia I had "911", "Kill Bill Released", "Tsunami", "Death of Pope" and "Casino".
Pretty happening generation we live in, don't you think.
And then after that, i extrapolated, using a dotted line, under the heading "Looking forward", and happily jotted down the word "Japan"; and after a short pause, wrote down "TOEFL" (which means Teaching of English as a Foreign Language)
Which struck me.
Post-exam trip, Church Camp@Malacca, Reservist, Photography Worshop and Attachment at A&G notwithstanding, I still have 2 more months free, which is just enough time for me to complete this course. Why this? Of all things. Well, not exactly the coolest thing to study, unlike Insurance or Real Estate, it does not bring in the bling bling; but thats just missing the point. Passion is a strong commodity to have in these dry and trying times. Law school is great, but to me, its getting an education. Yea, why am I working so hard for yea. Then again, after the mission trip and teaching English to those Thai University students who were just so keen to learn, i discovered what I could do, and more importantly, what I want to do.
It makes a big difference teaching to a bunch of spoilt brats in Primary school or a bunch of hoodlums in secondary school, which is what put me off teaching as a career in the first place. But for adults who PAY to learn a foreign language, ah, thats a different ball game altogether. You are actually teaching a bunch of people who want to learn. And don't think just because your command of English is good means you know how to teach it. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I found that out firsthand in Chiang Mai.
However, as with all things, there is a catch.
All S$2000 worth of it.
As peiching and mike pointed out, teaching in Japan and part time during year 4 would not cover the costs of the course. But as I said, I'm not doing this out for the monetary rewards. Then again, where am I going to get 2K from? My parents are already balking at the Japan expenses, and I don't think they love me THAT much. Its 2K mind u. Enough to feed the family for months.
If its meant to be, it will all fall into place (and I will see myself teaching English maybe in Shanghai or Seoul), or, just get the law degree, slave away for years under the imposed statusquo, get a house, get a car, get a wife, get a career, get your CPF.
Dreams are but the fruits of idealism.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home